Join our team! As a global leader in providing title insurance, settlement services and risk solutions for real estate transactions, First American (NYSE: FAF) is an ideal place to build your career. We have been entrusted with helping our customers achieve and protect their dream of homeownership since 1889. We believe that our people are the key to the company’s continued success, and we invest in diverse talents and backgrounds and empower our teams to achieve more than they could anywhere else. First American has created an award-winning culture and has been named to the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® list for the fourth consecutive year and to more than 50 regional Best Places to Work lists. For more information, please visit www.careers.firstam.com
Tired of those billable hour requirements? Not interested in business development and would rather focus on providing solutions to your cases? Want to be the decision maker rather than just an advisor? Want better work-life balance? Ready for a change with an in-house opportunity?
The Claims Counsel position with First American Title Insurance Company provides an excellent opportunity for counsel to manage their own caseload, oversee outside litigation counsel, and engage in high-level problem solving, negotiation and legal analysis in a stimulating and collegial environment with an opportunity for long-term growth and advancement.
Claims Counsel are responsible for managing all aspects of title insurance and escrow claims and claims against the company from initial investigation, coverage determination through final resolution.
Among the responsibilities of Claims Counsel are the following:
• Investigate the facts and issues of the claim, determine whether coverage exists, evaluate loss under the title policy, assess defenses for the insured and/or the company, determine need to retain outside counsel, develop and carry out a plan to address the claim and manage the claim and/or litigation through to final resolution
• Negotiate settlements and resolutions with claimant / opposing counsel / third parties
• Appear as company representative in court proceedings, mediations and settlement conferences
• Manage claim budget, review and approve outside counsel invoices and other expenses and determine settlement and expense reserves
• Direct outside counsel on litigation strategy through the course of claim administration and litigation
• Identify and pursue sources for recovery
• Fluent English and Spanish, speaking, reading, writing, translation preferred
• Must possess excellent written and verbal communication, negotiation and organizational skills
• Law Degree required
• Licensed and in good standing to practice law in any state of the United States
The Claims Counsel position provides an excellent and stimulating in-house opportunity for the right candidate. We are looking for an attorney who shows initiative, has sound judgment, can make independent decisions, is a team player, and has excellent analytic and legal skills. The candidate does not need to have title claims experience, although such experience and/or real property litigation experience, is preferred. If you are a hard worker, excellent legal analyst, and looking to grow with a company named to the FORTUNE “100 Best Companies to Work For®" list for 2019 list for the fourth consecutive year and to more than 50 regional Best Places to Work lists, you are encouraged to apply.
First American invests in its employees’ development and well-being, empowers them to provide superior customer service and encourages them to serve the communities where they live and work. First American is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer. For more information about our Company and our dedication to putting People First, check out firstam.com/careers.