Sr. Underwriting Counsel - Tennessee
Franklin, Tennessee; Memphis, Tennessee
Company SummaryJoin a team that puts its People First! First American's Agency Division is dedicated to providing our policy-issuing agents with resources, services and underwriting guidance needed to achieve new levels of success. Since 1889, First American (NYSE: FAF) has held an unwavering belief in its people. They are passionate about what they do, and we are equally passionate about fostering an environment where all feel welcome, supported, and empowered to be innovative and reach their full potential. Our inclusive, people-first culture has earned our company numerous accolades, including being named to the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® list for seven consecutive years. We have also earned awards as a best place to work for women, diversity and LGBTQ+ employees, and have been included on more than 50 regional best places to work lists. First American will always strive to be a great place to work, for all. For more information, please visit www.careers.firstam.com.
First American is currently seeking a Tennessee Sr. Underwriting Counsel to work out of our Tennessee office. The candidate we are looking for will have state-specific experience to Tennessee. The ideal candidate will provide underwriting support and expertise to company personnel, agents, and customer(s), related to the issuance of real estate title insurance commitments and policies. They will utilize underwriting standards and guidelines within delegated authority limits, to underwrite the issuance of title insurance and provide guidance in the performance of real estate settlement services.
- Provides underwriting support, counsel, and authorization to company personnel, agents, and customer(s), related to the issuance of real estate title insurance commitments and policies
- Utilizes underwriting standards and guidelines within delegated authority limits, to underwrite the issuance of title insurance
- Provides guidance to company personnel in the performance of real estate settlement services.
- Issues underwriting standards and guidelines in accordance with established company processes
- Responsible for communicating information related to underwriting and real estate settlement services from superiors to subordinates
Supervision Received or Extended
- Work under minimal supervision
- Ability to come up with creative solutions to unique circumstances
- Requests or issues that are above scope of responsibility and approval limits are referred next level underwriter
- Generally no supervision of others, however, may supervise administrative personnel. May be responsible for coaching and directing work ofJunior underwriters
Knowledge and Skills/Technology Used
- Excellent understanding of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of real estate title and settlement process
- General knowledge of Federal and State regulations related to real estate title insurance and settlement services
- General understanding of underwriting real estate transactions for the issuance of title insurance policies
- Ability to collaborate and act decisively
- Detail oriented
- Excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills
- Good organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and timely follow up
- Strong negotiation skills
- Requires abstract thinking and creative solutions
- Ability to ‘think outside the box’ and make unique yet sound decisions to resolve complex issues
- Ability to build relationships and create rapport
- Law Degree required
- Admitted to practice in state of employment
Typical Range of Experience
- 8-10 years title underwriting experience
- Must be familiar with real estate law
License or Certification
- Licensed to practice law, in good standing
Salary Range: $86,200 - $139,000
This hiring range is a good faith and reasonable estimate of the salary range of possible compensation at the time of the posting, and is subject to change. The actual compensation offered will be determined by various factors, which may include a candidate’s education, training, experience, and geographic location.
#AGTLFirst American invests in its employees' development and well-being, empowers them to provide superior customer service and encourages them to serve the communities where they live and work. First American is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer.Based on eligibility, First American offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401k, PTO/paid sick leave and other great benefits like an employee stock purchase plan.