Senior Title Officer - Remote
Who We AreJoin a team that puts its People First! First American's Direct division provides comprehensive title insurance protection and professional settlement services for real estate purchases, refinances and equity loans. Since 1889, First American (NYSE: FAF) has held an unwavering belief in its people. They are passionate about what they do, and we are equally passionate about fostering an environment where all feel welcome, supported, and empowered to be innovative and reach their full potential. Our inclusive, people-first culture has earned our company numerous accolades, including being named to the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® list for eight consecutive years. We have also earned awards as a best place to work for women, diversity and LGBTQ+ employees, and have been included on more than 50 regional best places to work lists. First American will always strive to be a great place to work, for all. For more information, please visit www.careers.firstam.com.
What We DoIdentify issues and work with customers, attorneys and lenders in an advisory capacity to resolve issues impacting title insurability prior to closing. Communicate with clients and third parties to obtain documentation to clear title related issues such as missing information, incomplete, inaccurate or contradictory information contained in the title commitment, in accordance with internal and external policies and regulations. The Title Officer may specialize in commercial, industrial or residential titles or be proficient in all three. In some locations/regions, the Title Officer is a full-service role and may perform search, title examination and other duties as part of the review and clearing of title. This role may be part of a centralized title group, work independently or be in an escrow branch office.
- Examines all classes of title searches including difficult title orders such as insurance of commercial leaseholds, trust indentures, contracts, operating agreements and other highly involved property interests. Act in an advisory capacity; decisions regularly involve resolving unique and complex situations. Reconciles title problems and accepts responsibility for loss claim investigation
- May be team leader for a unit consisting of examiners, searchers or other title staff; may provide input to staff selection, performance feedback
- Analyzes records, such as mortgages, liens, judgments, easements, vital statistics, plat and map books, and property surveys to determine ownership and legal restrictions and to verify legal description of property and completeness of records
- Analyzes the effect of probate, foreclosures, building court cases, and bankruptcy proceedings on title insurance
- Review and approve a variety of documentation including deeds, operating agreements, trusts, wills, affidavits of heirships, corporate resolutions, partnership agreements, and state filed Articles of Incorporation and Articles of Organization
- Selects appropriate write-ups for commitments and policies for both standard and extended coverage
- Forms and maintains business partnerships with clientele. May participate in business development activities to maintain existing clients and acquire new clients and attend customer visits with sales personnel and/or provide formal training/classes
- Uses technical bulletins and other resources to evaluate and resolve problems
- May price commitments, endorsements, policies and guarantees using predetermined schedule of fees and charges
- In some regions/locations, consult with attorneys to review search packages and on matters that require escalation
- May provide underwriting interpretation within established guidelines
Knowledge and Skills/Technology Used
- Through experience, has encountered a wide range of issues and situations and has demonstrated mastery of skills.
- Familiar with all aspects of title work
- Flexible with the ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment to handle all aspects of title support
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong detail orientation
- Able to meet deadlines under pressure
- High School diploma or equivalent
Typical Range of Experience
- 5-7 years directly related experience
- Demonstration of skill mastery
Pay Range - $32.50 - $45.58 Hourly
This hiring range is a reasonable estimate of the base pay range for this position at the time of posting. Pay is based on a number of factors which may include job-related knowledge, skills, experience, business requirements and geographic location.