Title Examiner-Suffolk County
Riverhead, New York
Company SummaryJoin a team that puts its People First! As a member of First American’s family of companies, Data & Analytics is a national provider of property-centric information, analytics, risk management and valuation solutions. First American maintains and curates the industry’s largest property and ownership dataset with over 7 billion document images. Our major platforms and products include: DataTree®, FraudGuard®, RegsData™, TaxSource™ and ACI®. The First American Data & Analytics division boasts more than 20 patents and remains at the forefront of innovation - leveraging technology and data to deliver best-in-class decisioning solutions. Fueled by our industry-leading data and using our technology and proprietary process, our solutions provide lenders, real estate and title companies with actionable insights - enabling them to make better, increasingly automated, decisions. With offices in all major metropolitan areas, including California and New York, DNA teams work collaboratively from across the country. Since 1889, First American (NYSE: FAF) has held an unwavering belief in its people. They are passionate about what they do, and we are equally passionate about fostering an environment where all feel welcome, supported, and empowered to be innovative and reach their full potential. Our inclusive, people-first culture has earned our company numerous accolades, including being named to the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® list for seven consecutive years. We have also earned awards as a best place to work for women, diversity and LGBTQ+ employees, and have been included on more than 50 regional best places to work lists. First American will always strive to be a great place to work, for all. For more information, please visit www.careers.firstam.com.
Search public records and examine titles to determine legal condition of property title. Works independently and uses experience to examine title to real property, ranging in complexity, to determine status and establish chain of title. Copy or summarize recorded documents, which affect the condition of title to the property. Work is done in an office, title plant, or remotely traveling to court houses, municipalities and other government entities to perform the searches. Actual workflow is typically determined by geographic practices. Builds knowledge base of state practices and requirements.
- Performs title examination and examines the chain of title for title orders ranging in complexity; documents all research
- Abstracts and analyzes records, such as mortgages, liens, judgments, easements, vital statistics, and plat and map books, to determine ownership and legal restrictions and to verify legal description of property and completeness of records
- Resolves most issues such as missing information, incomplete, inaccurate or contradictory information contained in the title documentation
- Processes departmental documents requiring specific knowledge of functional operations, type correspondence, and reports from rough drafts.
- Prepares and reviews reports for accuracy
- May provide interpretation within established guidelines
Knowledge and Skills/Technology Used
- Detail / quality orientation
- Internet savvy
- Data entry/typing skills
- Analytical review skills
- Research and investigative skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Communication skills, both verbal and written
- Customer service orientation
- Standard MS skill set
- Adobe Acrobat skill set
- Proficient with company operating systems
- Knowledge of legal terms helpful
- Knowledge of industry terminology, search department procedures and tools
- High School diploma or equivalent
Typical Range of Experience
- Typically requires 2+ years directly related experience
License or Certification
- State license(s) if required
#LI-CG2First American invests in its employees' development and well-being, empowers them to provide superior customer service and encourages them to serve the communities where they live and work. First American is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer.Based on eligibility, First American offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401k, PTO/paid sick leave and other great benefits like an employee stock purchase plan.
No jobs have been viewed recently.
The REconomy Podcast
First American’s economic podcast examining the forces that influence real estate, housing and affordability, featuring First American Chief Economist Mark Fleming, Ph.D. and Deputy Chief Economist Odeta Kushi.Learn More
Fortune 100 List for 7 Straight Years
Proud to be ranked number 50 out of Fortune 100 2022 list.Learn More
Great Place To Work
We Are Proud to be a Great Place to Work Certified Company for 7 years straight.Learn More