Hybrid Senior Accountant - Investments
Santa Ana, California
Company SummaryJoin a team that puts its People First! Since 1889, First American (NYSE: FAF) has held an unwavering belief in its people. They are passionate about what they do, and we are equally passionate about fostering an environment where all feel welcome, supported, and empowered to be innovative and reach their full potential. Our inclusive, people-first culture has earned our company numerous accolades, including being named to the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® list for seven consecutive years. We have also earned awards as a best place to work for women, diversity and LGBTQ+ employees, and have been included on more than 50 regional best places to work lists. First American will always strive to be a great place to work, for all. For more information, please visit www.careers.firstam.com.
In this role you will maintain integrity of accounting information and systems, in accordance with standards and rules under GAAP, as well as other regulating bodies. Reconciles, analyzes and synthesizes financial data from business operations. Plays an active role in preparation of public financial statements, including balance sheet, income statements, SEC filings, DOI reports and other regulatory reports. May evaluate or support the evaluation of company and regional profitability, efficiency and product performance. May evaluate the effects of changes in accounting regulations on Company's financial statements and accounting controls. Executes accounting policy and procedures and participates in internal and external audits.
- Perform complex accounting activities to maintain a complete and accurate investment accounting system and related general ledger accounts. This includes researching, as necessary, new pronouncements for reporting. Review and identify trends or issues and the related sources to make recommendations for change.
- Prepare investment related journal entries, reconcile ledger accounts, and perform monthly and quarterly fluctuation analysis, including explaining key drivers for the fluctuations.
- Interface and assist with internal and external audit
- Lead special projects including process improvement initiatives
- Plays a key role in monthly and quarterly close process
- Perform account analysis to assist with ensuring accurate investment financial reporting
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking by calling out assumptions and identifying root cause.
- Identify errors and risks that could have a financial impact on the company’s financial statements in accordance with company investment policies, US GAAP and in compliance with Sarbanes Oxley.
- Communicate with multiple levels in the organization and escalate issues to appropriate management.
- Assist in training and updating desktop procedures
- Analyze outsourced and offshore investment accounting and reporting against Service Level Agreements (SLA) to identify issues with substandard quality, turn-around time and productivity and suggest solutions to management team
- Prepare and analyze monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and reports; ensure investment information has been reflected accurately
- Work collaboratively with team members and other departments
Knowledge and Skills/Technology Used
- Familiar with investment accounting and reporting concepts, practices, and procedures
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work - Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Excellent analytical, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Advanced knowledge in the interpretation and application of accounting principles and practices under US GAAP. Knowledge of SAP and IFRS a plus.
- Strong computer skills including MS Office. Ability to query data using data extraction tools.
- Experience with investment and accounting systems such as Bloomberg, S&P Capital IQ, Refinitiv Datascope, and Clearwater Analytics preferred.
- Large ERP Software experience, Oracle preferred.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- MBA preferred
Typical Range of Experience
- 4+ years of experience in accounting
- 2+ years of experience in accounting for investment securities preferred.
License or Certification
- CPA desired but not required
Salary Range: $62,568 - $86,900 annually
This hiring range is a reasonable estimate of the base pay range for this position at the time of posting. Pay is based on a number of factors which may include job-related knowledge, skills, experience, business requirements and geographic location.
#TCORPOTHFirst American invests in its employees' development and well-being, empowers them to provide superior customer service and encourages them to serve the communities where they live and work. First American is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer.Based on eligibility, First American offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401k, PTO/paid sick leave and other great benefits like an employee stock purchase plan.
No jobs have been viewed recently.
The REconomy Podcast
First American’s economic podcast examining the forces that influence real estate, housing and affordability, featuring First American Chief Economist Mark Fleming, Ph.D. and Deputy Chief Economist Odeta Kushi.Learn More
Fortune 100 List for 8 Straight Years
Proud to be ranked number 59 out of Fortune 100 2023 list.Learn More
Great Place To Work
We Are Proud to be a Great Place to Work Certified Company for 7 years straight.Learn More