Job Posting Title Remote - Design Technologist, Design Systems
Santa Ana, California
Company SummaryJoin a team that puts its People First! Since 1889, First American (NYSE: FAF) has held an unwavering belief in its people. They are passionate about what they do, and we are equally passionate about fostering an environment where all feel welcome, supported, and empowered to be innovative and reach their full potential. Our inclusive, people-first culture has earned our company numerous accolades, including being named to the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® list for seven consecutive years. We have also earned awards as a best place to work for women, diversity and LGBTQ+ employees, and have been included on more than 50 regional best places to work lists. First American will always strive to be a great place to work, for all. For more information, please visit www.careers.firstam.com.
As a Design Technologist, you will work across a spectrum of design and engineering tools and systems to help discern and solve problems with an understanding from both design and front-end engineering disciplines.
Working in a collaborative environment, you'll be an active contributor to design from early-stage concepts all the way through final delivery and launch and you’ll also help form design and dev documentation for the Design System.
You'll work closely with product management, design, engineering, and executive leadership, bringing original ideas and fresh approaches to each project.
- Design flows, wireframes, mockups to support our client API portal.
- Translate visual and interaction design into working web components for our design system.
- Contribute and evolve our design system — encompassing building out overarching documentation and guidelines, a design library, and front-end components (HTML, CSS).
- Build out accessibility-compliant, production-ready components via HTML and CSS.
- Write design and technical documentation to communicate how a design token, UI element, and component behaves, functions, and provide contexts for its use.
- Help designers navigate technical scenarios and limitations and provide feedback for their design solutions in regard to their technical feasibility.
- Evangelize for design systems and communicate how the business, product, designers, and engineers can benefit from investing in a design system.
Knowledge and Skills/Technology Used
- Optional experience with Angular, React and Material UI.
- Experience maintaining a design system and component documentation.
- Fluency with mockup and prototyping tools such as Figma, or equivalent.
- Fluency in best practices for web-based information architecture and interaction design, user-centered design process, as well as a fundamental knowledge of user experience principles and techniques.
- Be resourceful and creative to overcome obstacles and turn challenges into opportunities.
- Ability to work efficiently and demonstrate a bias for action in a fast paced, often ambiguous environment.
- Exceptional problem-solving abilities, clear communication skills, and solid design instincts who can translate their designs into engineering-focused solutions.
- Ability to present a strong rationale for design decisions.
- Bachelor’s degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent combination of education and experience
Typical Range of Experience
- 6+ years of experience as a front-end developer, UX engineer or design system designer.