(Remote) Senior Technical Writer
Santa Ana, California
Who We AreJoin a team that puts its People First! Since 1889, First American (NYSE: FAF) has held an unwavering belief in its people. They are passionate about what they do, and we are equally passionate about fostering an environment where all feel welcome, supported, and empowered to be innovative and reach their full potential. Our inclusive, people-first culture has earned our company numerous accolades, including being named to the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® list for eight consecutive years. We have also earned awards as a best place to work for women, diversity and LGBTQ+ employees, and have been included on more than 50 regional best places to work lists. First American will always strive to be a great place to work, for all. For more information, please visit www.careers.firstam.com.
What We DoWe believe a great developer experience is amplified by great documentation that enables developers to best leverage the tools we provide for them. The Senior Technical Writer will establish and own our technical writing practice for a large API product organization. You’ll work with our product delivery squads to create world-class technical documentation for developers. You'll grasp complex concepts and help translate them into concise, developer-facing documentation guides, release notes, and other documentation and learning resources.
What You’ll Do
- Build, deploy and manage a technical writing practice across product delivery teams within a large product organization.
- Define, coach and implement best practices, operating procedures, and tools for documentation.
- Plan and work with team members to maintain high-quality API and SDK documentation that is accurate, discoverable, relevant, usable, and organized.
- Identify documentation gaps and execute changes that will reduce process errors, improve process results, increase quality, and/or create value.
- Manage a library of technical documentation, including optimizing and standardizing document format, location, style, and change governance.
- Collaborate with product delivery squads and customers to discover what needs to be documented.
- Estimate and prioritize work in a distributed team environment.
- Guide our product delivery squads in best practices to achieve great documentation success.
- Lead by example by documenting API and SDK features while providing guidance on tooling and working processes.
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor's degree required. Degree in Technical Communications, Professional Writing, English, or Journalism preferred.
- 5+ years of relevant technical writing experience creating technical documentation for IT professionals such as Software Engineers, System Engineers, or Network Engineers.
- Senior experience writing technical API and SDK documentation, operating procedures, user manuals for various audiences. Professional technical writing certification (CTP, CPTC, or similar) is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience identifying, implementing, and managing a documentation strategy and program is a must.
- Technical developer-facing documentation portfolio including, but not limited to: API and SDK documentation, user guides and tutorials, release notes, software documentation and style guidelines.
- Ability to navigate ambiguity, find the right SME and help people understand the role of technical documentation.
- Solid experience working within an Agile/Scrum environment.
Pay Range: $69,894 - 124,256
This hiring range is a reasonable estimate of the base pay range for this position at the time of posting. Pay is based on a number of factors which may include job-related knowledge, skills, experience, business requirements and geographic location.