Remote Underwriting Innovation Manager
Santa Ana, California
Company SummaryJoin a team that puts its People First! As a member of First American's family of companies, National Commercial Services provides single-point service for simple to multi-property/multi-state national commercial real estate transactions. Since 1889, First American (NYSE: FAF) has held an unwavering belief in its people. They are passionate about what they do, and we are equally passionate about fostering an environment where all feel welcome, supported, and empowered to be innovative and reach their full potential. Our inclusive, people-first culture has earned our company numerous accolades, including being named to the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® list for seven consecutive years. We have also earned awards as a best place to work for women, diversity and LGBTQ+ employees, and have been included on more than 50 regional best places to work lists. First American will always strive to be a great place to work, for all. For more information, please visit www.careers.firstam.com.
The future of Underwriting is now, and it is both art and science.First American is reinventing the commercial title industry from within. We’re looking for a unique, ambitious individual who wants to join an early-stage operation within a larger, Fortune 500 organization. We’re looking for someone interested in working at the cutting-edge intersection of real property and technology. We’re looking for a well-rounded, multidisciplinary thinker who can blend the art of title underwriting with the science of technology. Join us if you understand that 21st-century underwriting means synthesizing both quantitative, data-driven insights and qualitative, human-centered judgment into a holistic viewpoint.
As an Underwriting Innovation Manager, you’ll join our efforts to reimagine the title insurance underwriting process, providing guidance and expertise in exciting, tip-of-the-spear fields such as artificial intelligence and electronic closing processes, leveraging non-traditional data sources and methods to solve complex underwriting challenges, and creating modern digital tools for underwriters.
As an Underwriting Innovation Manager, you will:
- Develop and evangelize a clear view of the new, technology-enabled “sweet spot” where careful risk selection results in a profitable, compliant, 21st-century insurance business
- Utilize both “hard” and “soft” skills to analyze and synthesize data of all types and origins to create new insights into potential title risks
- Create and curate underwriting standards and guidelines governing the use of technologies in title insurance and settlement services
- Explore and create non-traditional methods and data assets for solving complex title underwriting challenges
- Engage in deep-dive research and documentation of state-law variations of underwriting risks in consultation with company underwriting leadership
- Work as co-developer of new technology tools and processes alongside technical and business-operations counterparts, helping to coach, translate, and explain complex underwriting subjects across cultural lines
- Serve on industry associations as a thought leader who is driving the use of technology in title insurance and settlement services
Core Traits We’re Looking For:
- A desire to develop disruptive technologies and processes
- Entrepreneurial, thriving in dynamic, fast-paced, and ambiguous environments
- A digital-first, technology-forward mindset that recognizes that the best underwriting decisions are made by humans and machines working together
- Outstanding synthesis skills and a broad intellectual range across diverse topics that blend the science of technology with the art of human judgment
- Exceptional oral, written, and visual communication skills, with the ability to adjust communication style as appropriate for dynamic constituencies
- Excellent ability to build relationships, generate empathy, and create rapport across a variety of different constituencies, from technologists to profit-center managers
- Demonstrated ability to learn multiple functional areas of a complex business environment
- Demonstrated ability to navigate constraints and fashion novel solutions to complex problems
- Drive to be constantly upskilling and learning new areas relevant to the intersection of real property and technology
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of information from disparate sources to achieve new insights into solving complex problems
- Strong legal research and writing skills
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Law degree desirable
- Graduate degree desirable
- 3-5 years of real estate law practice; or
- 3-5 years of title insurance underwriting experience
- Experience with the research or development of technology products is highly desirable
Why Join Our Team:
- You’ll join the ground floor of a transformative business where you can make an impact
- You’ll work alongside industry experts and the brightest minds to transform an industry
- You’ll be able to craft the career path you want!
- We foster a vibrant, welcoming, and inclusive company culture
- You’ll be entrusted with responsibility and autonomy in your day-to-day work
- You’ll have opportunities to advance your career from within, or for internal mobility
- We offer competitive compensation; an annual, performance-based bonus; and long-term incentive plans.
- Customizable benefits including Health, Dental, Vision, and 401K Match
- Flexible work options for certain roles
- Virtual and in-person team events
#LI-RemoteFirst American invests in its employees' development and well-being, empowers them to provide superior customer service and encourages them to serve the communities where they live and work. First American is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer.Based on eligibility, First American offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401k, PTO/paid sick leave and other great benefits like an employee stock purchase plan.