Senior Data Engineer (Hybrid)
Santa Ana, California
Who We AreJoin a team that puts its People First! Since 1889, First American (NYSE: FAF) has held an unwavering belief in its people. They are passionate about what they do, and we are equally passionate about fostering an environment where all feel welcome, supported, and empowered to be innovative and reach their full potential. Our inclusive, people-first culture has earned our company numerous accolades, including being named to the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® list for eight consecutive years. We have also earned awards as a best place to work for women, diversity and LGBTQ+ employees, and have been included on more than 50 regional best places to work lists. First American will always strive to be a great place to work, for all. For more information, please visit www.careers.firstam.com.
What We DoThe Underwriting Innovation Team is looking for promising new Senior Data Engineer to help accelerate our digital transformation. We want diverse thinkers who know how to bring innovation to life by facilitating the design and development of simple, intuitive, and user-centered software solutions. You’ll help senior department leadership drive the transformation of a traditionally paper-based business by re-imagining underwriting as a digital experience, thinking through both the underwriter’s and customer’s lenses. The Data Engineer is a data expert and plays a key role in the development and deployment of innovative big data platforms for advanced analytics and data processing. Supports building scalable and effective solutions using modern technology stack to grow and leverage the company’s vast data assets. Works with functional teams and supports software developers, database architects, data analysts, and data scientists on data initiatives and ensures that optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects.
***Candidates will need to be local to Southern California and will get to work out of First American's Corporate HQ's in Santa Ana, CA for 2-3 days a week!
What You'll Do:
- Viewed as a data expert; drives innovation and plays a key role in the department. Participates in highly visible initiatives that have broad impact.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automate manual processes, optimize data delivery, re-design infrastructure for greater scalability.
- Design, develop, code, test, and document architectures and applications.
- Work closely with team members and cross-functional teams to ensure design/architecture/deliverables support business requirements and align with best-practices.
- Troubleshoot and resolve a wide range of data issues.
- Makes innovative recommendations to improve data reliability, efficiency and quality.
- Required to perform duties outside of normal work hours based on business needs.
What You'll Bring:
- Strong database development skills
- Strong knowledge of SQL and NoSQL databases
- Strong experience with ETL processes to ingest large amounts of data at regular intervals
- Strong knowledge of database performance optimization techniques, such as clustered, non-clustered, spatial, full-text indexing, etc.
- Geospatial data knowledge preferred
- Experience working in Agile SDLC methodology
- Proficient with SQL and T-SQL programming skills
- Working experience building data/ETL pipeline and data warehouse
- Demonstrated expertise in data modeling, database maintenance, monitoring and performance tuning on SQL Server, MongoDB or other NoSQL databases
- Exceptional analytical skills analyzing large and complex data sets
- Perform thorough testing and data validation to ensure the accuracy of data transformations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with precise documentation
- Self-driven team player with ability to work independently and multi-task
- Analytical, creative thinker and innovative problem solver
- Working knowledge/proficient in modern cloud computing technology
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science/related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 5-8 years of directly related experience
Salary Range: $87,900.00 - $182,700 Annually
This hiring range is a reasonable estimate of the base pay range for this position at the time of posting. Pay is based on a number of factors which may include job-related knowledge, skills, experience, business requirements and geographic location.